Compiled by RADC Members - Tracy Wise and Jeff Poggi
Welcome to this week’s Call to Action, where you can find some of the latest events and news to help you take part in the issues that matter to our communities.
If you have a call to action that you would like us to highlight, email us at: [email protected]
For Wednesday, June 8, 2022
1. Addressing the Toxic Worship of Guns and the Never-Ending Deaths in the U.S.
- Plan to join the national march this Saturday, June 11, 2022, through March for Our Lives. Go to the website to obtain details about the DC march and/or local marches: text “march” to 954-954 or go to https://marchforourlives.com/march22/
As of 6/7, the two closest marches are in Redlands and Riverside:
March For Our Lives Redlands, CA - June 11, 2022, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM PT Downtown Redlands, ORANGE St., Redlands, CA 92374
March For Our Lives Riverside, CA - June 11, 2022 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM PT Galleria at Tyler, 3693 Tyler St, Riverside, CA 92503
- From Mom’s Demand --
Action: SHUT DOWN THE SENATE SWITCHBOARD.
How: Text BOLD to 644-33 to call your senators NOW.
Red and blue states alike.
Tell them #DontLookAway from our gun violence crisis!
Write our two state senators, your representative, Governor Newsom, your state senator, and your assemblymember, to demand that we ensure ALL these regulations are fully in place (and secured) in our state of California and for the entire country.
- Ensure that we raise the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21;
- Ensure that we require a universal background check for all firearm sales, ALL;
- Ensure that we implement “red flag” laws to allow the temporary removal of firearms from those who are an imminent danger to themselves or others;
- Ensure that we require a “cooling off” period for the purchase of a firearm;
- Ensure that we reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban nationally and in our state;
- Ensure that we ban bump stocks;
- Ensure that we ban, or at the very least regulate, civilian ownership of high capacity magazines; and
- Ensure that we implement gun buyback programs locally and nationally.
Senator Dianne Feinstein, 11111 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 915, Los Angeles, CA 90025 - (310) 914-7300 or [https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me]—and please thank her for her past efforts!
Senator Alex Padilla, 11845 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 1250W, Los Angeles, CA 90064 - (310) 231-4494 [https://www.padilla.senate.gov/]
Representative Pete Aguilar, https://aguilar.house.gov/email-me/ or 685 E. Carnegie Drive, Suite 100, San Bernardino, CA 92408 - (909) 890-4445
Governor Gavin Newsom, https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail/ or (916) 445-2841
State Senator Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh (SD23), 10350 Commerce Center Drive, Suite A-220, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 or call (909) 919-7731
State Assemblymember James Ramos (AD40): https://lcmspubcontact.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ContactPopup.php?district=AD40 or (909) 476-5023 - district - and (916) 319-2040 - Sacramento
- Join or support one of these groups:
2. Watch the January 6th Committee Hearings!
The first public hearing of the January 6th Committee is this Thursday, June 9, 2022, at 5 pm Pacific Time. Let us pay attention to these hearings, learn the facts about what happened, and watch our Representatives (including Rep. Pete Aguilar) lay out the information unearthed not only of the planning and execution of the attempted January 6, 2021, coup, but also of the specific planners who brought it to fruition.
Per a tweet from Rep. Adam Schiff on 6/8/22, “We’re going to demonstrate how there was a multipronged effort to overturn a presidential election, how one thing led to another, one strategy to subvert the election led to another, culminating in a violent attack on our democracy.”
The hearings are to be carried live by all reputable news channels in the U.S. (yes, that means they are not set to air on Fox).
3. Plan to Attend the Next RADC General Meeting: June 18, 2022
Please plan to join us on Saturday, June 18, 2022, at 11 am on Zoom. The primaries are over and now it is time to begin thinking and planning for the midterms in November. We cannot afford to lose the House and the Senate to the GOP.
Connection information can be found by visiting our website at: https://www.redlandsareademocrats.org/calendar
STICK A PIN IN THIS
- President Biden has invoked the Defense Production Act to spur the production of solar panels on 6/6/22, along with increasing transformers and grid components + insulation and heat pumps! Last week, we shared an action with you about a complaint which was strangling the availability of solar panels in the U.S. Read all about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/07/biden-climate-change-defense-production-act?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654604512 and here
- Advocating for a vibrant downtown Redlands with a re-use of the site of the current derelict Redlands Mall: The Planning Commission and the City Council held a joint meeting on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Lasting over 5 hours, the result was a unanimous vote by the City Council in favor of the developers’ design for the Redlands Mall project. This is an important step forward in building a sustainable and resilient downtown Redlands for the future.
- Learn about the City Council Candidate Running in the New District 3: Mario Saucedo! Go to https://mariosaucedo.com/ to learn more about this native Redlander and community activist and the issues he is prioritizing in his campaign. We will be sharing future events for Redlands Dems to attend!
- Ensuring California is a Sanctuary State for those seeking abortions: On May 2, 2022, the following press release came out of Sacramento from our state leaders:
SACRAMENTO – Senate President pro Tempore Toni G. Atkins (D-San Diego), Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Lakewood) and Governor Gavin Newsom released the below statement following news reports detailing a preliminary U.S. Supreme Court majority draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade and end federal constitutional protections for the right to abortion:
“California will not stand idly by as women across America are stripped of their rights and the progress so many have fought for gets erased. We will fight. California is proposing an amendment to enshrine the right to choose in our state constitution so that there is no doubt as to the right to abortion in this state. We know we can’t trust the Supreme Court to protect reproductive rights, so California will build a firewall around this right in our state constitution. Women will remain protected here.”
If you have not already done so, send a message to the Governor, Speaker Rendon in the Assembly, Pro Tem Atkins in the Senate (emails are above), as well as your own assemblymember and state senator to tell them you support this action.
I fully support the proposal of an amendment to the California state constitution to enshrine the right to choose, so that there is no doubt at all regarding the right to abortion in our state. Women must be protected here, and California must take whatever steps it can to protect this basic civil liberty which gives women the right to manage their own bodies.
For Senator Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh (SD23): 10350 Commerce Center Drive, Suite A-220, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 or call (909) 919-7731
For Assemblymember James Ramos (AD40): https://lcmspubcontact.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ContactPopup.php?district=AD40
Do you like this page?