Compiled by RADC Members - Tracy Wise and Jeff Poggi
Welcome to this week’s Call to Action, where you can find some of the latest events and news to help you take part in the issues that matter to our communities. This week, we are going to focus on the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade and actions we can take in response.
If you have a call to action that you would like us to highlight, email us at: [email protected]
For Thursday, June 30, 2022
1. Support Organizations Providing Access to Abortion Services (aka there is no need to reinvent the wheel)
- “The National Network of Abortion Funds builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic, and reproductive justice.” https://abortionfunds.org
- “On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade shocked the nation. Here you can find resources for learning more about what it all means and how to engage.” https://nwlc.org/resource/resource-hub-the-supreme-court-and-roe-v-wade/
- Two organizations which help with things like funding, travel, and childcare while seeking an abortion:
- Whole Woman’s Health Wayfinder program, “built specifically to help people find their way from a state where they are denied an abortion to a state where they can get that abortion.” https://www.wholewomanshealth.com/abortion-wayfinder/
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund: https://www.weareplannedparenthoodaction.org/onlineactions/6iOI0_HnUUmPu_6_SRgayg2?sourceid=1006442&ms=4NALz2100K1N1A&gclid=CjwKCAjwzeqVBhAoEiwAOrEmzQTaCRBYCv81Zhmra7aKO2UT4BNCXPgVU-dwPiHZBgazpHF5ClqF6RoCw4MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
- NARAL: https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/fight-back-for-our-freedom/
2. Action Items to Submit to California Senators and Our Representatives
List from Justice Correspondent at The Nation, Elie Mystal:
- Make abortions legal on federal property leased to providers who pay for it out of their own pockets and charity.
- Guarantee the right to travel AND TRAVEL VOUCHERS for people in need of a “vacation.”
- Make abortion meds available through the federal post and on federal land.
Senator Dianne Feinstein, 11111 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 915, Los Angeles, CA 90025 - (310) 914-7300 or [https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me
Senator Alex Padilla, 11845 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 1250W, Los Angeles, CA 90064 - (310) 231-4494 [https://www.padilla.senate.gov/]
Representative Pete Aguilar, https://aguilar.house.gov/email-me/ or 685 E. Carnegie Drive, Suite 100, San Bernardino, CA 92408 - (909) 890-4445
3. Register Voters, Campaign for Pro-Choice Candidates, and Work to Get Out the Vote in November
If we get a true Democratic majority in the Senate, and can bypass Manchin and Sinema, we can then:
- Eliminate the filibuster.
- Pass federal abortion protections.
- Expand the Supreme Court so that they will not overturn any new federal regulations.
- Pass the entire Build Back Better package, which has been stymied.
- Pass the remainder of the Democrat agenda which has passed the House but been stopped in the Senate because of the filibuster.
Steps being taken right now to secure existing protections, as announced by Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bidens-health-secretary-unveil-action-plan-abortion-access/story?id=85850353
A Constitutional Amendment to further protect abortion rights in the State of
California will be on the November 2022 ballot!
Additional reading: an op-ed by Senators Elizabeth Warren and Tina Smith: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/25/opinion/elizabeth-warren-tina-smith-abortion-roe.html
STICK A PIN IN THIS
- The January 6th Committee will resume its public hearings in July. Check C-SPAN or PBS for recordings of past hearings.
- Advocating for a vibrant downtown Redlands with a re-use of the site of the current derelict Redlands Mall: The Planning Commission and the City Council held a joint meeting on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Lasting over 5 hours, the result was a unanimous vote by the City Council in favor of the developers’ design for the Redlands Mall project. This is an important step forward in building a sustainable and resilient downtown Redlands for the future.
The City Council is continuing to work on this project along with the University of Redlands project.
- Learn about the City Council Candidate Running in the New District 3: Mario Saucedo! Go to https://mariosaucedo.com/ to learn more about this native Redlander and community activist and the issues he is prioritizing in his campaign. We will be sharing future events for Redlands Dems to attend!
Do you like this page?