Compiled by RADC Members - Tracy Wise and Jeff Poggi
Welcome to this week’s Call to Action, where you can find some of the latest events and news to help you take part in the issues that matter to our communities.
If you have a call to action that you would like us to highlight, email us at: [email protected]
For Wednesday, July20, 2022
1. Climate Emergency!
On July 18, 2022, it was reported that President Biden may declare a National Emergency on Climate *this week*. Please reach out to President Biden with the following message:
- If he has not yet declared a National Emergency on Climate:
Dear President Biden –
Our planet is in crisis, as is our nation, due to the effects of global heating. The destruction is mounting and the cost of addressing this crisis will ultimately be less expensive than the cost of attempted repairs/rebuilding and the loss of life itself. Fossil fuel corporations are focused on short-term profits and not long-term survival of an environment habitable for humans, let alone other forms of life. We are running out of time. Please take this action.
City, State, Zip
- If he has declared a National Emergency on Climate:
Dear President Biden –
Thank you for taking this vital step to protect the people and habitats of our nation. As the destruction from global heating mounts, making each summer a larger conflagration than the one before, we are running out of time.
Please know that I am grateful for and support this step 100%.
City, State, Zip
Here is how you send an electronic message to President Biden:
Here is how you leave a message on the White House switchboard for President Biden:
2. Volunteer Opportunity on July 28, 2022
The San Bernardino Democratic Party will have a table on Thursday, July 28, 2022, from 9 am-1 pm, at the Grand Opening Resource Fair in San Bernardino. The address is: 1505 W. Highland Avenue, San Bernardino, CA 94111.
The goal is to register voters and help educate people with a criminal history about their voting rights. However long you can stay would be appreciated.
To volunteer, contact: Jo Ann at [email protected] or text/call 760-702-0639
3. 2022 Midterms: Supporting Candidates
As we begin the countdown to the November midterms, please start carving out time in advance to support local and state-wide candidates. For example, Senator Alex Padilla, Rep. Pete Aguilar, Derek Marshall for the House, Eloise Gomez Reyes and James Ramos for the California State Legislature, and Denise Davis and Mario Saucedo for Redlands City Council (Loma Linda and Highland folks—let us know who we should be supporting in your City Council races!). We will continue to share information with you as info and events come up.
Also begin to think about adopting a candidate in a state governor’s race. Some initial flagged races to consider:
- The eventual Dem nominee in Florida
- Stacey Abrams in Georgia
- Tony Evers in Wisconsin
- Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan
- Josh Shapiro in Pennsylvania
- Beto O’Rourke in Texas
For example, if you want to sign up to phonebank for Beto now, just go to: http://www.betoorourke.com/call
To learn more about Josh Shapiro: https://joshshapiro.org/
For more about Gretchen Whitmer: https://gretchenwhitmer.com/
For more about Tony Evers: https://tonyevers.com/
For more about Stacey Abrams: https://staceyabrams.com/
Let's give a helping hand to our fellow citizens who live in states that are trying to take away their basic civil and human rights. Think of it as our coming together in a national barn-raising, because that’s what Americans do.
STICK A PIN IN THIS
- Support Organizations Working to End Gun Violence in the U.S.
- Moms Demand Action: https://momsdemandaction.org/
- Brady United Against Gun Violence: https://www.bradyunited.org/
- Everytown for Gun Safety: https://www.everytown.org/Act
- Sandy Hook Promise: https://www.sandyhookpromise.org/
- Giffords: https://giffords.org/
- Support Organizations Assisting Women with Access to Abortion Services
- “The National Network of Abortion Funds builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic, and reproductive justice.” https://abortionfunds.org
- “On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade shocked the nation. Here you can find resources for learning more about what it all means and how to engage.” https://nwlc.org/resource/resource-hub-the-supreme-court-and-roe-v-wade/
- Two organizations which help women with things like funding, travel, and childcare while seeking an abortion:
- Whole Woman’s Health Wayfinder program, “built specifically to help people find their way from a state where they are denied an abortion to a state where they can get that abortion.” https://www.wholewomanshealth.com/abortion-wayfinder/
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund: https://www.weareplannedparenthoodaction.org/onlineactions/6iOI0_HnUUmPu_6_SRgayg2?sourceid=1006442&ms=4NALz2100K1N1A&gclid=CjwKCAjwzeqVBhAoEiwAOrEmzQTaCRBYCv81Zhmra7aKO2UT4BNCXPgVU-dwPiHZBgazpHF5ClqF6RoCw4MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
- NARAL: https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/fight-back-for-our-freedom/
- The January 6th Committee is holding its July public hearings. The final hearing is in Primetime (5 pm Pacific) this Thursday, July 21, 2022, with more hearings planned for the future. Check C-SPAN or PBS for recordings of past hearings, as well as the J6 site itself: https://january6th.house.gov/
- Advocating for a vibrant downtown Redlands with a re-use of the site of the current derelict Redlands Mall: The Planning Commission and the City Council held a joint meeting on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Lasting over 5 hours, the result was a unanimous vote by the City Council in favor of the developers’ design for the Redlands Mall project. This is an important step forward in building a sustainable and resilient downtown Redlands for the future.
The City Council is continuing to work on this project along with the University of Redlands project.
- Learn about the City Council Candidate Running in the New District 3: Mario Saucedo! Go to https://mariosaucedo.com/ to learn more about this native Redlander and community activist and the issues he is prioritizing in his campaign. We will be sharing future events for Redlands Dems to attend!
- Learn about the City Council Re-election Campaign for Denise Davis in District 1! https://www.deniseforredlands.com/ for more information.
- Learn about House of Representatives Seat CA-23 Candidate Derek Marshall: https://www.derekmarshallca.com/ for more information.
Do you like this page?