Compiled by RADC Members - Tracy Wise and Jeff Poggi
Welcome to this week’s Call to Action, where you can find some of the latest events and news to help you take part in the issues that matter to our communities.
If you have a call to action that you would like us to highlight, email us at: [email protected]
For Wednesday, August 17, 2022
1. Secession Will Be on the November Ballot – Info Here!
The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors has voted to place a measure on the November 2022 ballot which, as the LA Times states, “would allow the county to assess ways to get its ‘fair share of state funding,’ including potentially seceding from California.” (See the link to the full LA Times article, below.)
We need to be ready to vote NO when our ballots come.
While we wait for further details, please read and get updated on the latest:
Redlands Community News:
2. Begin to Volunteer for Candidates for the Midterms!
Derek Marshall’s Congressional campaign will have its virtual kickoff on Saturday, August 20, at 1:30 pm – watch here: dm4ca.com or go to https://actionnetwork.org/events/general-election-field-kick-off
You can also participate in his campaign’s Field Kickoff Phone Bank that same afternoon from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm. You can contact the host at [email protected] to RSVP and get the link or go to https://actionnetwork.org/events/field-kick-off-phone-bank
3. Election Opportunity: Sign Up to Be a Poll Worker in November!
Check out #PowerthePolls and sign up to be an election poll worker. Go to www.powerthepolls.org to learn more, sign up for training, and sign up to do this vital role in November!
STICK A PIN IN THIS
- Support Organizations Working to End Gun Violence in the U.S.
- Moms Demand Action: https://momsdemandaction.org/
- Brady United Against Gun Violence: https://www.bradyunited.org/
- Everytown for Gun Safety: https://www.everytown.org/Act
- Sandy Hook Promise: https://www.sandyhookpromise.org/
- Giffords: https://giffords.org/
- Support Organizations Assisting Women with Access to Abortion Services
- “The National Network of Abortion Funds builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic, and reproductive justice.” https://abortionfunds.org
- “On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade shocked the nation. Here you can find resources for learning more about what it all means and how to engage.” https://nwlc.org/resource/resource-hub-the-supreme-court-and-roe-v-wade/
- Two organizations which help women with things like funding, travel, and child care while seeking an abortion:
- Whole Woman’s Health Wayfinder program, “built specifically to help people find their way from a state where they are denied an abortion to a state where they can get that abortion.” https://www.wholewomanshealth.com/abortion-wayfinder/
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org
- NARAL: https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/fight-back-for-our-freedom/
- The January 6th Committee public hearings are on hold this month. Hearings will resume in the fall, though the committee continues to release additional details. Check C-SPAN or PBS for recordings of past hearings, as well as the J6 site itself: https://january6th.house.gov/
- Advocating for a vibrant downtown Redlands with a re-use of the site of the current derelict Redlands Mall: The Planning Commission and the City Council held a joint meeting on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Lasting over 5 hours, the result was a unanimous vote by the City Council in favor of the developers’ design for the Redlands Mall project. This is an important step forward in building a sustainable and resilient downtown Redlands for the future.
The City Council has approved the revised ballot measure for the November 2022 election which will allow the University of Redlands transit village plan to go forward. There may still be a competing ballot trying to stop the University’s development. More news and details to come as the ballot is finalized.
- Learn about the Redlands City Council Candidate running in the new District 3: Mario Saucedo.
Go to https://mariosaucedo.com/ to learn more about this native Redlander and community
activist and the issues he is prioritizing in his campaign. We will be sharing future events for
Redlands Dems to attend!
- Learn about the Redlands City Council re-election campaign for Denise Davis in District 1:
https://www.deniseforredlands.com/ for more information.
- Learn about House of Representatives Seat CA-23 candidate Derek Marshall:
https://www.derekmarshallca.com/ for more information.
Do you like this page?